What's in a name? Well quite a lot according to a new initiative
from Starbucks, already long established in the States. In a bid to
appear more friendly, personal and engaged with their customers,
baristas will ask for your name along with your order to scribble
on the side of the cup ready for calling out when the drinks are
Naturally this brews up a few issues which Twitter and the
blogosphere are already getting excited about:
- how will reserved Brits take to the intrusion of privacy /
anonymity that individual are entitled to?
- the American faux familiarity fools no-one
- will mis-spelling or pronouncing names do more harm than
So are we getting in a froth over nothing?
As far as we're concerned, yes. Many people have commented that
you don't have to give your real name and in fact people have had a
lot of fun suggesting some possible monickers to adopt - see below.
This also makes the whole process of announcing the names a form of
entertainment in itself which may (or may not) add to the
Whatever your opinion, Starbucks has certainly scored a big PR
hit in terms of column inches, Twitter trending etc. So from a
marketing perspective it's nothing to get steamed up about.
Starbucks - where no-one knows your name
We've tried to avoid too many Bart Simpson-esque options, but
here's a few examples of cheeky little suggestions to preserve your
identity and perhaps raise a smile or two. Feel free to suggest
your own below:
- Some wag on Twitter said to call yourself 'Costa' (one for the
brave we think)
- Amanda Huggenkiss
- Alpuccino - your cappuccino!
- Phya! Phya Alaam!
- Hugh Jass
- The Real Slim Shady - or the Real Slim Latte?
- " " Marcel Marceau or the Fry and
Laurie gag when your name is a series of bangs on the counter
followed by a punch in the face?
- Lord Lucan - has anyone seen Lord Lucan?
- Uomo Senza Nome - the man with no
- And the ultimate - "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, father
to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife; and I will have my
skinny latte with an extra shot, in this life or the next!"